Analysis by GfK for seven product groups in the first four months of the year paints a mixed picture of the French DIY market. According to the analysis, sales in the hand tools product category were up by 29 per cent, with a volume increase of 25.2 per cent.
This was the smallest of the seven product groups with a volume of EUR 60 mio. The largest group by far is paints with a volume of EUR 321 mio, where value sales declined by 6.6 per cent and volume sales by 3.2 per cent. The survey includes sales in the panel market as a whole, thus in all distribution channels.
The plumbing, adhesives and electric heating categories also exhibited a negative trend, along with value sales of dog and cat food. Sales of power tools were up by 0.8 per cent to EUR 103 mio.
The detailed figures are:
- Water treatment/taps: volume -0.7 per cent, value -3.2 per cent
- Adhesives: volume -4.5 per cent, value -3.4 per cent
- Paints: volume -3.2 per cent, value -6.6 per cent
- Electric heaters: volume -4.8 per cent, value -2.6 per cent
- Hand tools: volume +25.2 per cent, value +29.0 per cent
- Electric power tools: volume +5.3 per cent, value +0.8 per cent
Corded: volume +5.9 per cent, value +1.5 per cent
Cordless: volume +4.2 per cent, value -0.2 per cent
Source: DIY International, http://www.diyinternational.com