The IHS Markit Global Business Outlook Survey – based on responses from 12,000 companies between October 9-29 – recorded the strongest degree of optimism among companies since late-2018. The business activity net balance rose from a near survey low of +15% in June to +26%. Hopes that a vaccine could be rolled out over the coming 12 months underpinned the improvement in confidence from the lows earlier in the year.
- Global business optimism reaches two-year high, but with marked national variations
- Sentiment has risen most sharply in India, followed by Brazil, Germany, Japan and the US
- Confidence has fallen most sharply in Russia and Spain
- Outlook towards hiring and investment turns positive, though Europe lags behind
- Selling price inflation set to pick-up globally, despite falling prices in eurozone